This is the time for local business to increase their local marketing strategies to maximize from the penguin update. In May, Google launched the Penguin 2.0 update that focused on flushing out sites that were benefited from link spam. Gone are the days of heavy linking just so you can improve your SEO. Today’s it’s all about quality content and quality links. It appears that small businesses are going to benefit the most from the updates.
Google has changed the way it treats local search and results, they have been integrating localized results into organic searches for broad search queries like “shoe store” – big bonus for local businesses. For example, a local shoe store has no chance at ranking for a keyword like “shoe store” but Google appears to be ranking local businesses more importantly in this new update. Now small businesses have a fighting chance against the bigger box stores.
- Blogging – Guest blogging will not only help you be seen as leader in the industry, but it will create great backlinks to your site that will boost local organic search rankings. Make sure that you are blogging on reputable sites that are related to your industry and have the same geo-local presence. Contact the company that complements yours and ask to do a guest blog on their site and give them the opportunity to post a blog on your site as well. Business should also be blogging on a regular basis for their own site. Google pays more attention to sites that produce quality content regularly.
- Local Listings – Make sure your company is on Google Places, Yellow Pages, and other local directories.
- Reviews – Your ranking also takes into account what your customers are saying about your business, rather than what you have to say. Ask for reviews by sending out personalized emails to your customers asking them to write reviews on Google+ Local page and Yelp. Consider setting up a separate landing page that leads customers to your review sites. After all, 70% of local customers trust online business reviews
- Google Authorship – Helps Google to understand the credibility of the individual who has posted a piece of content on your site.
- Mobile – It’s imperative for local businesses to optimize their website for mobile. In fact, 82% of smartphone owners said they always have their phones with them when they are in-store and look at a company’s website prior to stepping foot in the store.
- Press Releases – Press releases are the most effective way of getting higher ranks and create buzz in local searches. Consider creating and distributing press releases if you have something newsworthy, such as local events, new products, or other significant accomplishments.
Don’t let the Google Penguin update discourage you from taking advantage of everything it has to offer. For small businesses, this is your opportunity to compete with the bigger national brands. For more information on SEO for local businesses, contact us today at 720-263-1736. If you’re interested in learning more about SEO, sign up for our monthly newsletter that provides tips and updates in the SEO community. This is a sure fire way to stay ahead of the game for any local business.